Trio named in Ashes squad | Adelaide Strikers - BBL
Cricket network logo



Trio named in Ashes squad

26 July 2019

Striker Michael Neser

Adelaide Strikers captain Travis Head is among three Strikers selected in Australia’s squad for the Qantas Ashes Tour of England beginning in August.

Head joins Strikers teammates Peter Siddle and Michael Neser in the 17-player squad released by Cricket Australia on Friday.

Head, 25, has retained his place in the Test squad after scoring his maiden Test century against Sri Lanka at Manuka Oval in February and will serve as vice-captain for the tour alongside fast bowler Patrick Cummins.

Siddle has been in stellar form for English county side Essex and claimed four first-innings wickets in Australia’s tune-up match earlier this week.

The experienced seamer, who was influential in the Strikers’ BBL|07 Championship win, will gear up for his sixth Ashes series and is a proven performer on swing-friendly UK pitches armed with the English-made Dukes ball.

Uncapped allrounder Neser is another well-suited to English conditions.

The 29-year-old also took four first-innings wickets in Australia’s intra-squad match to stake his claims for selection as he strives for a Baggy Green.

Fellow Striker Alex Carey, who earned a place in the ICC’s World Cup Team of the Tournament, was overlooked for selection in the Ashes squad. National selectors instead chose in-form Tasmanian Matthew Wade to act as the squad’s reserve wicketkeeper-batter behind captain Tim Paine.

Chairman of Selectors Trevor Hohns said trimming the squad to just 17 players proved a tough assignment.  

"It has been a difficult task to reduce the 25-player squad here in Southampton down to 17 and those who have not made the final Ashes party are all desperately unlucky," said Hohns.

"However, that problem also highlights that we have a degree of depth to select from and that is a terrific positive.

"We have had excellent preparations for this series, with eight players from this squad forming part of the Australia A tour that has been in the UK for more than a month, six who took part in the ICC Cricket World Cup, and three who have been playing county cricket. It means the players are acclimatised and ready for the first Test."

Australia is aiming to retain the Ashes and win a series in England for the first time since 2001.

The squad will travel to Birmingham this weekend to begin preparations for the opening Test, which begins on Thursday.

SQUAD FOR 2019 QANTAS ASHES TOUR OF ENGLAND
Tim Paine (c) (Tasmania)
Cameron Bancroft (Western Australia)
Patrick Cummins (vc) (New South Wales)
Marcus Harris (Victoria)
Josh Hazlewood (New South Wales)
Travis Head (vc) (South Australia)
Usman Khawaja (Queensland)
Marnus Labuschagne (Queensland)
Nathan Lyon (New South Wales)
Mitchell Marsh (Western Australia)
Michael Neser (Queensland)
James Pattinson (Victoria)
Peter Siddle (Victoria)
Steven Smith (New South Wales)
Mitchell Starc (New South Wales)
Matthew Wade (Tasmania)
David Warner (New South Wales)

First Test: August 1-5, Edgbaston
Second Test:
August 14-18, Lord's
Third Test:
August 22-26, Headingley
Fourth Test:
September 4-8, Old Trafford
Fifth Test:
September 12-16, The Oval